Men who model underwear need to be dedicated and in good physical shape. You are going to be in competition with other aspiring underwear models, so you will have to tone abs as well as thighs and glutes in order to define your muscles. It isn't easy to break into underwear modeling, but you can maximize your opportunities through regular exercise, eating healthy, and also by having a good agent. In addition you have to be comfortable modeling various kinds of underwear, such as thongs or briefs that are Brazilian cut.
1. Make an exercise plan for yourself. You'll need to build muscles and do cardio workouts in order to have the defined muscles that are needed by male underwear models. It is recommended to undergo weight training 4 days a week and a cardio/ab workout on the other three days. Underwear models have specific toning needs, and this workout addresses each of those unique areas including the biceps, quadriceps, upper and lower chest, abs and even the back.
2. Eat a healthy diet. If you want to have the body of an underwear model, you are going to have to work out regularly and eat in a healthy manner. Fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains in balanced portions should be included in your diet. After you work out it is good to enhance your muscle development by drinking a protein shake. In addition, plan for five or six meals during a day so that you are never hungry.
3. Get your portfolio ready. If you are going to look for an agent or go to casting calls, these are things you must do. When you have worked out and developed your physique, set up an appointment with a professional photographer to take head shots and then use the photos to create a comp card (a card the size of a postcard that lists your measurements and has a portfolio picture.) When preparing for the body shots for your portfolio, include a variety of underwear, such as boxers and briefs. And be certain that the photos are taken in a place with good lighting since that will allow your defined muscles to show well.
4. Visit modeling agencies and apply. An agent can help you get into castings and jobs that are not open to models that do not have agents. To find an agent, you should visit directory sites or make a Google search for male modeling agencies. Search for agencies that handle commercial and print work and will hire male models, as some only have casting availability for women. You usually have to send a head shot photo, a whole body photo along with a comp card, resume, and cover letter in order to make application to an agency.
5. Use your own resources to seek out available positions. While waiting to get the right agent, check out modeling jobs for underwear that will take you on without an agent. Look into the underwear companies that are not as big to see if they have casting calls or shows coming up. Find out who the casting person is and send him comp card along with your portfolio.